It was a flop in movie theatres and a smash on Broadway.
Disney’s Newsies has always held a mystic charisma that even the grumpiest critics (you know who you are) admit to appreciating. Join host Sally Fuller and guest Ashley Elliott on today’s deep dive to uncover how Alan Menken’s cult classic film became the hottest ticket on Broadway. Spoiler alert: It’s a lot of work mixed with some uncanny luck.
- Newsies rocks our socks off. Take a listen to the original Broadway cast recording and definitely throw in the “Seize the Day (Chorale)” track from the movie soundtrack.
- Our favs: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pocahontas, Tangled, Howard Ashman, A Christmas Carol, King David, Sister Act, Home on the Range, Der Glockner von Notre Dame, Golden Raspberry “Razzie” Awards, Christian Bale, Ann Margaret, Kenny Ortega, Joseph Pulitzer, David Moscow, Bill Pullman, Max Casella, Paper Mill Playhouse, Harvey Fierstein, Jack Feldman, Jeff Calhoun, Christopher Gattelli, Occupy Wall Street, Thomas Schumacher, Jeremy Jordan, Andrew Keenan-Bolger, Ben Fankhauser, Kara Lindsay, Stephanie Stiles, Ben Tyler Cook
- Off-topic mentions: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Live, Frozen, Julie and the Phantoms, High School Musical, Tuck Everlasting, Bonnie and Clyde, Frank Wildhorn, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Jekyll and Hyde, The Lord of the Rings,
- Special thanks to Peachy Corners Cafe, Crazy Love Coffeehouse, Land of a Thousand Hills Coffee, Ground & Pound Coffee, and Noble & Main for being the best editing offices.
- BGP would not be possible without behind-the-scenes team members Thomas Fuller and Elise Friderich.
For the budding theatre fans
For the fangirls
For the die-hards
Fansie- a die-hard fan of Newsies.
To “pull a Judy Kuhn,” is to perform in two different musical performances at the Tony Awards, as Judy Kuhn did in ‘87 with Les Miserables and Rags.
How to Broadway Corner
Two-Dow-Shay (sometimes “Two Doh Shay”)- frequently used in theatre social media as #twodowshay to mean “Two show day.” This refers to the days that have both a matinee and evening performance. In community theatre, those days are all about pizza, massage chains, and Broadway karaoke between shows.
Follow Us: Instagram | Twitter We would eternally appreciate any support you would like to give us to cover the costs of our microphones, sound equipment, headphones, domain name, and the 40+ hours we spend putting each episode together! Anchor Support