From a dancer and soloist in an Ashton Springer musical tour to Mrs. Meers in Thoroughly Modern Millie on Broadway, Terry Burrell’s career has been exciting, to say the least. You can hear her joy bubbling over in every story as she joins host Sally Fuller to discuss her experience in the original Broadway cast of Into the Woods. Listen as the star pulls back the curtain on the Sondheim show and beyond, including stories from understudying two roles, being on Broadway in Dreamgirls with her sister, and changing her name to be taken more seriously.
And please visit Terry’s website www.terryburrell.com for more information about her!
- Into the Woods rocks our socks off. Take a listen to the original Broadway cast album!
- You know what else rocks our socks off? Theatrical Outfit in Atlanta! Click here to purchase tickets to see Terry Burrell perform live as part of the theatre’s virtual fundraiser, “Our Luckie Stars Gala” on May 15, 2021 (they know how to spell “lucky,” but they also happen to be located on Luckie Street in Atlanta).
- Our favs: Into the Woods, Eubie, Ashton Springer, Bubbling Brown Sugar, Dreamgirls, Deborah Burrell, Jennifer Holliday, Michael Peters, Michael Jackson, Michael Bennett, James Lapine, Chip Zien, Joanna Gleason, Phylicia Rashad, Lauren Mitchell, Joy Franz, Jeff Blumenkrantz, Carolyn Marlow, La Jolla, Grimms’ Fairy Tales, Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood, Stephen Sondheim, Ethel, Ethel Waters, Paul Gemignani, Bernadette Peters, August Wilson, Sheryl Lee Ralph, The Cosby Show, Jonathan Tunic, Robert Westenberg
- Other mentions: The Alliance Theatre, A Very Terry Christmas, Susan Booth, Atlanta Ferris Wheel “SkyView Atlanta,” The Coca-Cola Stage, Threepenny Opera, Alan Cumming
- Special thanks to Peachy Corners Cafe and Roam for being the best editing offices.
- BGP would not be possible without behind-the-scenes team members Thomas Fuller and Elise Friderich.
Inside the Playbills
For the budding theatre fans
While Terry never performed on Broadway as the Witch in Into the Woods, she has of course sung “Children Will Listen” in cabaret performances!
For the fangirls
Watch Terry (on the far left) and her castmates perform the title song from Dreamgirls!
For the die-hards
Terry presented Tony Awards along with her sister Deborah and Loretta Devine (at 3:05 Terry presens a second award)
Terry mentioned replacing an actress named Lauren in Into the Woods. This was Lauren Mitchell.
My favorite fun fact we actually didn’t discuss specifically is that one of the two actresses hired to replace Terry as a stepsister understudy was the late Marin Mazzie.
We would eternally appreciate any support you would like to give us to cover the costs of our microphones, sound equipment, headphones, domain name, and the 40+ hours we spend putting each episode together! Anchor Support